Mowing is the periodic cutting of a lawn to a specified height.
• Generally, plants don’t like being mowed, as it places stress on them. One way you can reduce the stress is by mowing during the evening time. This way, you can prevent the plants going into shock as a result of the heat from the sun, especially if they are dry.
• You will definitely need a range of equipment for effective mowing. While locating the right equipment isn’t difficult, you have to make sure the blades are sharp and the equipment itself is in good condition, for better results. If the blades are unsharpened, the grass blades won’t be cut properly, which increases the risk for disease and other problems.
• The ideal height for mowing is 2.5 to 3 inches, but you have to keep the weather in mind. Moreover, you shouldn’t mow the lawn too short as it won’t be able to absorb moisture properly. Taller grass has deeper roots and hence is healthier than grass which is cut short. This is essential for the health of your lawn.
• You should feel free to change directions when mowing, but in case the turf is taller, moving in the same direction is better. Generally, you should go for the direction which seems safest. Also, keep in mind to not cut off more than a third of the grass. Adjust the height accordingly for optimal results.
• Use the bagging unit to catch the clippings from the grass when mowing. Conversely, you can use a leaf rake to clean up your lawn later. Make sure you mow the lawn again after a few days, adjusting the cutting height accordingly. Also, be wary of injuring the crown. Take the necessary measures to prevent it or new growth will be stunted.
These are some basic tips you can follow for mowing your home lawn. Follow these to ensure your lawn remains lively and in good health for a long time to come.